THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2 AT 3:00PM PACIFIC. The New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) of Japan and The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) are hosting this two-part online event covering how Pacific West states and provinces are approaching hydrogen in their clean energy policies and how the Japanese industry is partnering with the local sector on building the transportation and power infrastructure for a hydrogen economy.
- To learn about what governments in the Pacific West are doing to plan for and support the transition to a zero-carbon energy economy.
- To better understand the versatility of hydrogen as a transportation fuel and utility power source.
- To highlight case studies of commercially viable hydrogen projects.
- To share information on market trends and business opportunities related to hydrogen in the Pacific West states and Japan.
- To provide an opportunity for networking between businesses, industry groups, and governments on both sides of the Pacific.
3:00 pm: Session 1 - Opening remarks
- Yumitori Shuji | Executive Director, NEDO
- Sone Ichiro | Executive Vice President, JETRO
3:10 pm: Greetings
- Muto Akira | Consul General of Japan in Los Angeles
- Eleni Kounalakis | Lieutenant Governor, State of California
- Kate Brown | Governor, State of Oregon
- Jay Inslee | Governor, State of Washington
- Province of British Columbia
3:40 pm: Keynote Speeches
- Hydrogen as multi-use clean energy resource, including a market and jobs forecast
- Dr. Jimmy Chen | Managing Director, Stanford Energy Corporate Affiliates (SECA) – Stanford University Precourt Institute for Energy
- U.S. federal policies, regulations, and incentives on hydrogen (Tentative)
- Elizabeth Urbanas | Deputy Assistant Secretary for Asia and the Americas, U.S. Department of Energy
- Japanese policies on hydrogen toward carbon neutrality
- Tadashi Mogi | Director-General, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Dept., Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
4:10 pm: Panel Discussion A | State Strategies
State and provincial representatives will present information from their regions about clean energy policy that involve hydrogen and discuss the challenges and opportunities in the expansion of this resource. The panel will include a 30-minute discussion and audience Q&A time.
- Dr. Andrew McAllister | Commissioner, California Energy Commission
- Brian Young | Director of Economic Development, Clean Technology Sector
- Dr. Gerri Sinclair | B.C. Innovation Commissioner, Province of British Columbia
- Rebecca Smith | Senior Energy Policy Analyst, Oregon Department of Energy
Dr. Aaron Feaver | Director, Joint Center for Deployment and Research in Earth Abundant Materials at Washington State University
5:08 pm: Session 1 - Closing Remarks