Shell - Commercial Advisor, Hydrogen Heavy Duty
Job Title: Commercial Advisor, Hydrogen Heavy Duty
Location: San Francisco-Harford Building
Job Description: Where you fit in
Help create the hydrogen economy for Heavy Duty mobility in commercial fleets—think big trucks, buses, trains, ships, cargo handling equipment, and aircraft. The Hydrogen Commercial Advisor for Heavy Duty and Fleets will report to the Hydrogen Commercial Manager for HD and Fleets and work primarily on continuing the business development of hydrogen refueling stations to grow the demand in hydrogen mobility for HD and commercial fleet applications.
What is the role?
The successful candidate will support this activity in California and other North American markets.
To be successful in developing hydrogen refueling stations for the Hydrogen Mobility business, we are looking for a person with a combination of skills and experience in mobility, consulting, finance, and business development.
The successful applicant will work with the rest of the Shell Hydrogen team as well as with colleagues from the greater Shell organization, located in primarily in California, Texas, Massachusetts, and Europe. The Hiring Manager is remote-first in Los Angeles, and HD industry is centered in Sothern California (Ports of LA and Long Beach, Inland Empire distribution centers, and the matrix of freeways carrying goods from Southern California to the rest of the continent). We prefer the Commercial Advisor to be in LA or Orange Counties, though we do not plan to move to office-based working at this time. The Advisor should be local to SoCal to attend various internal and external meetings in places like Long Beach, Wilmington, Torrance, Carson, Downtown LA, and Ontario. Additional travel out of region should be expected ~10%.
The successful applicant will work with internal and external stakeholders to support deal delivery of opportunities that will demonstrate and build Shell’s capability to provide HD hydrogen refueling at cost and performance parity with gasoline and diesel. The successful applicant will report to the Hydrogen Commercial Manager, HD and Fleets, while building collaborations with (a) the Global Hydrogen Product Advisor and Hydrogen Products team for development of the products needed for success, and (b) the Global Hydrogen Projects Advisor and Hydrogen Projects team for project implementation, and (c) Global Hydrogen Operations Advisor and Hydrogen Operations team for establishing conditions for successful operations.
Significant opportunities for cross-business collaboration may be developed with Shell Mobility Retail, Trading & Supply, Sectors & Decarbonization Key Accounts, Commercial Road Transportation, Greenlots, RCNG, and others.
The position delivers business development – opportunity maturation, partner funds, revenue – through specific projects or activities.
- Develop business opportunities in line with the strategic plan to grow the hydrogen business in California and North America, reporting to the Hydrogen Commercial Manager, HD and Fleets.
- Support specific business development opportunities through the full project lifecycle from ideation to operation.
- Coordinate new hydrogen retail networks including station equipment, site selection, public funding, and vehicle commitments.
- Work with vehicle manufacturers and leverage Shell Contracting and Procurement (C&P), to create effective and efficient market launches and/or expansions.
- Support project implementation and operation as needed through establishing conditions for success, ensuring high quality handovers, and delivering certain commercial aspects.
What we need from you
This role requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, backed up by a sound technoeconomic foundation. Skill in stakeholder management and familiarity with hydrogen refueling stations and fuel cell vehicles are also important. Finding the optimal way forward when blockers arise requires resilience, persistence, creativity as well as a passion to achieve breakthrough results – these are essential attributes. A passion for the development of New Fuels is a common thread in the team.
There is no expectation for candidates to have a background in hydrogen; backgrounds in commercial road transport and fleets, finance, commercial development, deal-making, and engineering are all welcome. Passion for low carbon fuels and mobility are key. Breadth of activity offers significant in-role growth opportunity. MBA or management consulting experience is a plus.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least 2 years commercial deal making experience, with examples from several different areas and articulation of the role played by the individual is a must.
- Minimum 4 years in relevant lines of work: finance, business development, engineering, fast-growing startups, OEMs, and/or consulting.
- Track record in delivering results
- Excellent interpersonal skills and salesmanship
- Credibility and respect with key stakeholders, demonstrated effective stakeholder engagement.
- Demonstrated problem solving mentality and commercial acumen: hydrogen is fraught with many blockers which require creativity to solve
- Hands-on, pragmatic, capable of working with a wide range of people, locations, and work activities
- Strong communication and reporting skills (clean PPT slides and emails)
- Good understanding of economics and ability to present complex projects in a simple yet effective manner
- Knowledge of policy and regulatory experience, with examples of tangible achievements delivering business results
- Experience in the field of hydrogen or renewable energy welcome
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.